Wednesday, October 30, 2013

To Candy Or Not To Candy?

I know that technically it is Workout Wednesday and I should be writing about working out however; tomorrow is Halloween and it is the start of candy and junk food binges until New Year's.  Sooo, I decided that I will be switching gears today.  
All over the fitness and food world people are talking about candy and what they will or will not be doing on October 31st for their family and kids.  In fact, people get downright fiesty and heated when discussing the whole candy issue.  Here is what my husband and I came up up with after much discussion. 
First of all, you have to understand we both grew up with candy.  In my house growing up we always had M&M's, Snickers, Twix, etc.  My husband grew up eating Skittles, on our honeymoon I packed Skittles in his carry on bag for a snack.  
You also need to understand that we don't go Trick or Treating, we are going to a festival at our church.  There is still LOTS of candy and last year there were nachos and a decorate your own cookie table.  My eldest ate three or four things of nachos and his cookie had so much candy and frosting on it that you could hardly see the cookie underneath.  So all in all, fun was had by all.  
The last thing you need to understand is that we are not perfect.  We are slowly striving to feed our kids as best as we can.  That's all anyone can do and I'm letting you all know what we are doing to encourage each one of you; not to make you feel bad. 
I'm sure you have already guessed by now but we are foregoing the typical candy fest.  Here's how our family is handling it.  I talked with the kids and told them to remember how they feel after they eat a lot of candy and treats.  They listed off; sick, grumpy, tummy aches, mad, crazy, sugary (one of the twins came up with that), and blech.  Then we told them that we were going to go to the Farmer's Market and pick them up honey sticks, dark chocolate honeycomb, and I would make them gluten free cookies instead of getting candy and the festival.  The boys are fine with the plan.  
I know some parents are doing a swap where they get their kids a toy for their candy but I personally don't want to buy anymore toys.  I also just don't want the candy in my house.  
I also know that some families let their kids eat all the candy that want for one day and then the binge fest is over.  We have done this in the past.  The illness and behavior issues that came afterwards are not worth it for us.  
So now you know what Team Freese is doing.  What is your plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment