Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Class of 1999

This summer will mark 15 years since I graduated from college (yes, I know I'm dating myself).  For a little bit of a laugh, I thought I'd compare how my training was back then to today.

So, journey back with me to a time when ER and Friends were still on TV, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was hitting theaters and Livin' la Vida Loca was on the radios...

During college I ran cross country and track for a small Division 3 college in MN.  My life revolved around classes, workouts/ meets and working part- time.  Yeah, I was a really hip college student lol!

My typical day back them:

Wake up and head out for an early morning run.
Get back to the dorm, shower, eat and wait around for classes to begin.
Most of the morning/ early afternoon was spent in classes or labs.
After class, I would head to practice and depending on the day either a speed workout or  a long run- minimum time 90 minutes for practice.
Rush over to the chow hall for food and then to the library for work (I was so cool, I worked in the AV department!), which was a great place, because I got to do my homework =)
Then home to watch TV before falling asleep and sleeping through the night...

It wasn't a stretch for me to be running 50-60 miles a week.  My 10k PR during that time was 39:36 and my 5k was 18:54...

Now a days...

Wake up early and hope that none of the kids wake up too because I really want to enjoy my devotion and coffee in peace and quiet.  If Sarge is home, I have to get out for a run before it gets too late.

If I got a run in, I have to hope that I still have time to shower before the crew wakes up.  Otherwise, yes, dear, these are the clothes I ran in this morning.  Is there a problem with that?

Most of the morning is spent trying to convince the kids to eat and get some school work done so they can enjoy the afternoons outside.  While they're working on school (in between answering questions) I'm trying to get some housework done (clean bathrooms?  who needs clean bathrooms?), feed the chickens, collect eggs and figure out what's for supper.

If I'm lucky, the kids are done with school by mid afternoon and they get to play outside and I get some peace and quiet in the house.

If I wasn't able to get a workout in in the morning, I sometimes try to get a video in.  Otherwise I have to wait until other adult supervision gets home so I can get a run in before supper.  Then eat, clean up the kitchen, some family time and then start wrangling the kids into bed.  At this point I'm hoping to be in bed by 10 pm.

Once I finally manage to get to bed, I hope that no one wakes up in the middle of the night.  It's been a long time since I've slept through the night...

Now a days, I'm lucky to get 25 miles in a week.  I haven't run a 10k faster than 50 minutes in a few years and my 5k times hasn't dipped below 22 minutes.

But I wouldn't trade any of the business and not knowing if I'm going to get a workout in for anything.  These four have stolen my heart =)

No comments:

Post a Comment