Friday, September 18, 2015

Foodie Friday: Butternut Mac and Cheese



It's been awhile since we featured a recipe on Foodie Friday.  So, I thought I would post what I made earlier this week that *gasp* all the kids had seconds of.

Ingredients:

1lb pasta cooked until tender (use your favorite kind or none at all)

bacon (everything is better with bacon)
butternut squash peeled and diced
mushrooms
green onions
kale

about 2 Tbsp butter
about 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or flour, you're making a rue sauce)
about 2 cups milk
shredded cheddar cheese

*Notice I didn't list exact amounts.  I usually use up what is on hand or guesstimate based on what I know my kids will eat =)

Fry up that bacon and butternut squash.  I prefer the squash when it has some nice browning on it, but you only have to cook it until it's tender.  Add in the mushrooms and green onions (I chopped mine up in a Ninja so the kids wouldn't see it ;) ).  Cook until tender.  Add in the kale and simmer until tender.

Mix the squash mixture and the pasta together.  Set aside.

Melt some butter in a pan and add arrowroot powder until you get a nice think paste.  Slowly add the milk and whisk until it thickens over low heat.  Remove from heat and add cheese.  Mix (probably don't want to use the whisk now) until the cheese is melted and then add to the pasta mixture.

Season to taste and serve.

This took about 30 minutes to throw together and about 15 minutes to eat.

Did you make this?  What did you think of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment