Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Joy 365 Day 1

My challenge this year is to go deeper in finding joy in the everyday.

Finding joy in my kids is easy.  I mean, how can you not find joy in this face?


But, when she was first born, she broke my heart.  

See, there's a difference between joy and happiness.  Happiness is dependent on your circumstances.  Joy comes from withing.  It's an attitude you nurture and isn't dependent on external factors.

  I was looking forward to being happy that I had a perfect, healthy newborn.  But that isn't what happened.  She wasn't *perfect* and she wasn't healthy.  I wasn't happy, and I couldn't find joy in her birth.

I had to look beyond the surface and see who she was to be able to find joy in her birth.

And what I've discovered in this journey is far richer than being happy.  I find joy in Sweet Pea because of who she is and who she is becoming.  

And that's why I chose this challenge.  I want to find joy.  I don't want to be dependent on my circumstances to be happy.  I want to begin each day with a joyful heart and faith that no matter what happens everything will work out.  

1 comment:

  1. I like the distinction between happiness and joy, and I love this post and this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete