Friday, January 24, 2014

Orange Honey Salmon

The other night my kids were hungry, I was tired, and I just wanted to make something quick and healthy.  I had salmon thawed but didn't have the stuff on hand that I normally cook it with so I decided to improvise and pray for the best.  I remember my aunt saying that you always need a sweet something to go on salmon so I grabbed some honey and drizzled it on top (don't drown it, just drizzle it!) and cut two oranges and poured the juice from the oranges onto the salmon.  I tossed it in a 425 degree oven and cooked it for fifteen minutes or so.  You want to cook it just until the thickest side of the salmon easily flakes with a fork. 
While my salmon cooked I took some green beans and diced mushrooms and three cloves of minced garlic and quickly sauteed them in a pan with some melted butter.  Butter, NOT margarine!  You want those good fats in your diet and the flavor is amazing.  I finished them off with some sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.  
In another pan I had a bag of frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots) steaming.  I finished those off with salt, pepper, and melted butter when they were done.  
This took me fifteen minutes to get on the table and each and every one of my kids had seconds.  In fact the next morning they asked if I would make it for breakfast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment