Friday, July 10, 2015

Can Modern Medicine and Natural Remedies Coexist?

When you have health problems you get a lot of different suggestions. Some of them are great and some of them are off the wall, others tend to run in the middle. I understand that and expected all of the above when I decided to write about what was going on with me. You can read about that here and here. The fact that I am a Health Coach and just finished a course on Thyroid Coaching has helped me a lot and I am so thankful that I found my lump AFTER I finished my course. It has also meant that I can see where medicine and natural remedies can work together to help a person. The problem lies in the fact that I am more of a natural remedies person. If my kids have an ear infection I am more likely to use garlic oil drops in their ear before I call the doctor. However, if my kids broke their arm or needed medical attention I would not hesitate to take them in immediately.

When I made the choice to write about my health journey (and there's probably going to be a lot more coming) I made the choice to put myself out there and I hope that I can help others dealing with what I'm dealing with. I have debated going through with my surgery, I am scared to function with only half of my Thyroid, I might spend the rest of my life trying to regulate my hormones. If I have Cancer then I will lose my whole Thyroid which means that I will spend the rest of my life on a form of medicine.

I have been told that I should use different herbs, change my diet, do a cleanse, get over it, that there are worse things than being on medicine, that this is no big deal, and so much more. You know what, some of these things are spot on and others not so much.

I have been using oils and herbs to help support my Thyroid since I found the lump. However, my T3, T4, and TSH are completely normal. Lumps on your Thyroid don't always mean that your function is out of whack, however there are those cases that you can get your function under control and the lumps go away.

My diet is actually pretty great to regulate Thyroid function. Since I got diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue, I decided to eat AIP and that helped tremendously! I did go a little nuts while I was on vacation but got right back on track when I got home. I even questioned myself enough to track my food for the last few weeks and look at what I was eating the same way I would for a client, other than a slice of pizza I have been eating extremely clean.

A cleanse is not going to get rid of lumps on a Thyroid. In fact, your body is designed to cleanse itself if you are eating properly. I rarely encourage people to do cleanses unless they really truly need it.

I would love to just "get over it," I really would but I am scared. Yep, I admitted it. The thought of having part of my body cut open and removed is scary. I would love to not spend my time wondering if I have Cancer or not. I have been second guessing myself since all of this happened and wondering if I am even a good Health Coach, and I have decided that I am. I understand even better what many of my clients go through now and I am even more excited to help them and reach more people. I don't like my journey but I am enjoying getting to the destination.

There are worse things than being on medicine for the rest of your life, yes this is true. However, for a person that doesn't even take Ibuprofen or Tylenol anymore this is a pretty big deal. I am thankful for modern medicine, in fact if it wasn't for it I wouldn't even have my twins! If I do have to take medicine, I will take it and be happy that it's there so I can live my life and take care of my family. I have however searched out some other options that I hope will work for me. If they don't then that's okay too.

This is no big deal. Honestly, this is one that has bugged me the most. No, I don't have Breast Cancer or any of the other biggies. In fact, I may not have Cancer at all but in my little world this is a big deal to me. I don't have anything nice to say here so I'm just going to keep on, keeping on...

So can Modern Medicine and Natural Remedies coexist? For me, yes! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I've read your blog. Thanks for sharing and I will be praying for you. God always has his reasons for us going through these thing but in the end we come out stronger and he is glorified. I pray God gives you strength and comfort and that he will use this trial in your life for his purpose. Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete