Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Box

Last week Kelli and I had the opportunity to try out a cross fit class.

To be honest, I was really nervous about trying out this class.  The Crossfitters that I have met or seen are RIPPED, and I am not!  However, I couldn't back out because I knew that we would be writing this post.  So I set my trial class for eight thirty, sent the kids over to Lynette's and headed down the street to a Box I didn't even know existed in Midlothian.

I pulled up in front of this warehouse and watched a normal looking person in gym clothes run in, great I found it!  I strolled in and saw a group of ladies working out but nothing scary.
Visions from the Box that Bob Harper had created from The Biggest Loser had been running through my mind all week.

We quickly went through the elements, elements are the basic Crossfit moves.  Before you can go into a normal class you go through an Elements class so that you can do the WOD (Workout of the Day) with proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

  All in all, I LOVE Crossfit and definitely see myself joining the Box in the near future.

************************************************************************

I was a little bit more prepared for the workout because Kelli had filled me in on what to expect =)

I was still a bit nervous about it though.  Even though I've spent a lot of time in the weight room and was familiar with some of the basic moves, I had to *unlearn* some of them.  One of the biggest ones was the deadlift.  By making one small adjustment to my form, I opened up a whole new world of hurt lol!

After the elements class, I was put through a mini WOD.  That day I had to run 200 meters and then do 15 wall squats (throw a medicine ball against a wall and squat as you catch it) 3 times for time.  No problem, I thought =)  The first round went well.  My legs felt good.  Second round, yup, I could feel those squats while I was running.  Third round, dear God, what have I done?  The last 200 meters felt like the last 200 meters of a marathon (okay, not really, but it was close).  And the last 15 wall squats?  Burn, baby, burn!  I was completely out of breath and my heart was pounding!

After I caught my breath, slowed my heart rate and grabbed some water, I felt really good.  I had had a good workout, it didn't take that long and I was still upright.  I didn't think too much more of it until I got out of bed the next day...

Cross Fit will definitely be finding it's way into my workout routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment