Friday, March 27, 2015

Things I've Learned From Potty Training

I am currently potty training my fourth child, you would think by know that I would have it down to a science; right? Even though she's a girl it's still pretty basic. Set aside some time to stay at home and run to the bathroom every thirty minutes to an hour with the kiddo and hopefully they go, give them some sort of prize or treat to encourage them to keep going in the potty. Voila, at the end of said week you are hopefully successful and no longer buying diapers! 


However, for Anna things are not that simple. I decided to buckle down and get her potty trained during Spring Break week. We had no piano, homeschool co-op, playdates, or anything else planned. Everything was rolling along and I saw the end in sight. After Anna I will only have one more child left to potty train and then I am DONE! 

Then, she decided to revert to diapers out of the blue. What the What?!? Yes, she has decided that she wants to match Emma and wear diapers. I have explained patiently for twenty-four hours that big three year olds wear panties. Today, she woke up ready for panties and has had no accidents!

All of this got me to thinking about how much potty training really resembles life. To potty train, you have to have a plan. My plan may not be your exact plan at all. However, you still need a plan of attack. You also need time. You must set aside the time to get your plan accomplished. This isn't one of those, oh I'll make time kind of things. You don't make time, it just doesn't happen. You also have to have grace. In my case, I had to give Anna grace when she reverted back to her old ways. However, I did not let her stay in that state for long. I pushed her to change and continue on the path to our goal. 

Do you have a plan to achieve your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment